Xenos! Xenos Everywhere!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley

5 posters

Go down

The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley Empty The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Thu May 24, 2012 3:08 am

[Mercenaries or invited characters only - or you could walk up and call out for someone on board who you want to talk to, but they won't necessarily give you a positive response]

The Earthbound's Rescue sits in the ocean docks just like any other ship, as it was, for the sake of money, constructed from an old trading ship so is still perfectly seaworthy. The balloon is deflated and folded up in the cargo hold, as the last voyage was days ago and the next over a month away. Nonetheless, the ship is still magnificent to look at, even when not in flight, its prow showing in shining brass letters The Earthbound's Rescue and Captain O'Malley's signiture flag, The Armed Puffin, flapping from the stern.
The captain himself is sat in his quarters, studying his maps and recovering from his hangover. A small bottle of black powder sits on his desk, weighing down the pile of Guild paperwork he has yet to look over and sign. One map in particular has his attention, as it has ever since he picked it up in Prospero.

What are these strange lands, I haven't seen them referenced ever before... Maybe I ought to get that nice Emrys lad from the Seekers to see if he can find any mention of them in that vast library, he looks like he knows his books.
I could bother Divah, but he seems engrossed in his own studies, especially after that promotion, and I'm not sure he wants to talk to me after I overreacted with that strange book situation... But to be fair, he was acting weirder than usual, and still is... He can't have got that promotion for finding one book, surely?
What does it matter, the past's the past, and I need to figure out the deal with this map.

Seamus goes back to his maps, trying again to see if there is any link between his existing charts and this new one. Not only is it strange that this has turned up, but that it did so in a valley in frozen Volkrime... Although there was one part of the map he recognises, but it doesn't seem to make any sense. He could show it to another sailor, see is they can figure it out, but the captain can't risk it getting into the wrong hands.

If this map does hold any glory, I'll make damn sure it's me who gets it! Anyway, I've had enough of this folly for one day, I'd better go practice my aim some more above deck. Where's Yksin when you need him...

The captain locks away his maps in the secrect compartment where he keeps all of his share of the treasure, and heads out onto the open deck of the ship. The smell of sea fills his nose, and the sound of lapping water his ears. Of course he has come to love other sensations, such as the taste of metal on the air as you fly through a thundercloud, or the feeling of freedom while looking down on towns and villages, but none of these compare to the elation he feels while at sea, and it fills his heart with sorrow knowing that his first ship, the ship from which he drew his flag, will never again ride upon the waves.
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley Empty Re: The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Thu May 24, 2012 3:32 am

[OOC - Maybe try not to do the internal dialogue thing, it's cool and all, a bit RR Martin esque, but it sorta defeats the object of RPing, seeing as we'd know what you're thinking. Just sayin'.......]
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley Empty Re: The Earthbound's Rescue - The Toymaker of Prospero Valley

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Thu May 24, 2012 3:40 am

A loud yawn is heard coming from the bow, followed by Sasien climbing up on to the deck, where he pauses for a moment before letting out a loud sigh and turning to the Captain.

"Good morning, Captain! Are you going to get some food? I'm hungry!"

He walks slowly towards the Captain as he shouts this at him from the other end of the ship.
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Thu May 24, 2012 3:50 am

As Seamus re-adjusts from the darkness of his cabin, he sees a black-clad elf climb from his hammock on the front of the ship, who greets him with the offer of breakfast. The memory of earlier makes him queasy, so the captain respectfully declines.
"No thank you, Sasien, I've already eaten. I trust you slept well?"
Before waiting for a reply, he continues,
"You haven't seen Hans around this morning, have you? I want to speak with him about... how should I say it... management issues..."
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Thu May 24, 2012 3:54 am

Sasien stops walking toward the Captain.

"Hans? No."

He turns to face the dock, as if about to leave.

"Hey, how long is it 'til our next Seeker assignment?"
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Thu May 24, 2012 4:02 am

"Just over a month. Why, do you have anything else planned?"
Seamus rarely knew what went on in that elf's head, but he could not question the ranger's prowess, efficiency and loyalty.
"And if it's breakfast you want, the Guild is doing full Gevellian all morning, and I think I saw Johann there earlier. Oh, and watch you don't tread in anything on the way in..."
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Thu May 24, 2012 4:14 am

At the mention of food, his eyes widened.

"Full Gevellian, you say? Well, I'm off!"

As soon as he finished saying this, he shot off like a bullet.
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Lydja Draugr Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 am

Walking up to stand next to the Captain, hearing him tell Saisen not to 'tred anything into the carpets', she begins to laugh lightly, alerting the Captain to her where-abouts.
"He better not tred anything in, I literally just cleaned in there, before the breakfast mob began to pile in" She says, finishing her sentence when she's next to him.
"That's a...erm...pretty picture you have there" She looks to the paper, completely clueless as to what the hell it is.
Lady Lydja Draugr
Lady Lydja Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Thu May 24, 2012 9:30 am

Hans stumbles up from the lower deck, clearly with a slight hangover, and possibly a migraine, considering the way he's shielding his eyes from the sun with a clearly pronounced wince on his face. Seemingly not noticing the other two, he makes his way the the starboard railing and sighs into the lovely sea breeze
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Fri May 25, 2012 4:52 am

[By the way Hannah, I don't have the map with me... You may have seen me studying it through the window of my quarters though, so I'll assume thats what you said]

"What? Oh, the map... Yes, it's been bugging me for quite some time now, it doesnt appear to correspond with any maps I've seen before. Maybe if there was another member of the Guild trained in the art of cartography I could try and make some sense of it, but until then I intend to keep it in my personal collection. I would prefer if you do not talk of it openly, as to avoid any unwanted attention... Now if you'll excuse me, I've just seen someone I've been looking for all morning."
Seamus walks over to beside Hans at the edge of the ship.
"How are you this morning, Hans? I don't believe I noticed you at the Xenu last night." But I doubt I noticed anything at all, to be perfectly honest. "Were you working with your firearms like you have been for the last month or so? Your aim must've improved by now, try shooting that barrel marked 'LIMES' at the end of the ship dead in the centre, I'm sure the crew won't mind having scurvy for about a week..."
He gestures to said barrel, some 25ft or so away, and steps aside so Hans has a clear shot.
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 5:01 am

Hans turns and groans, blinking in the light

"That one Captain? God my head hurts."

He pulls the pistol out of his belt, already loaded, takes quick aim and fires, the crack echoing over the deck as the bullet blasts off a small part of the side of the barrel.
"There. No, you didn't. I came after you left. He groans again I should NOT have drunk that mead."

He groans and leans over the seen again letting the breeze massage his face.
"Why'd you want me to shoot a barrel Captain? I'd have prefferred to save it for a Zombie."
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Fri May 25, 2012 5:38 am

"Hmm, you did hit it, that's for sure, but it seems it could take you a while to refine your aim. Let's see... should I?... Yeah, may as well; Hans, I would like to present to you, my Possessed Pistol!"
The captain pulls his own pistol from it's holster at his side, the steel skull decoration glinting, somewhat malevolently, in the morning sun. With a flourish, he flips it round in his hand, offerring the handle to Hans.
"You see that skull? It's rather strange how, despite it not having eyes to speak of, it seems to stare at people. Sometimes it will shoot them, but that only happens once a day at most, but it does aim itself to some degree. Point it in the vague direction of someone and pull the trigger, the poor soul inside will guide the bullet, even adding a litte extra 'gusto' of its own to knock them off their feet. Keep practicing with your own pistols, though - I'll be expecting it back some time in the future."
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 5:42 am

Hans takes the pistol, slightly wide-eyed

"...Thanks, Captain. I don't, I don't really know what to say... but thanks, and will do. I'll be using two at the same time by the end of the year."

He gives the Captain a happy smirk and holsters the pistol, passing his old one to the Captain
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Fri May 25, 2012 6:04 am

Moments later, you hear the sound of boots on the deck above, shortly followed by the appearance of Johann at the doorway.

"Everything all right here men?"
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 6:08 am

"Nobodies dead yet, if that's what you're asking. We need a new barrel of limes though..."

Hans turns and yells at a random crew member to go get more limes from the Seeker food-stores.

"Everything alright in the Guild?"
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Fri May 25, 2012 6:12 am

As Hans and Johann converse, Sasien walks onto the ship, taking no notice of the others and walks to the front of The Rescue.

He leans over the edge, pulls up his hammock and folds it away into a small nearby compartment from which he grabs a sack that he slings over his shoulder. He walks up to the others;

"Well, I'm off"
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 am

Hans breaks off from his conversation with Johann briefly.

"Off where?"
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Fri May 25, 2012 6:22 am

"I don't know, somewhere, I need more training, so I'll be doing something like that..."
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 6:57 am

"Fair enough, we'll see you at the next assignment?"
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sasien Tan'Dell Fri May 25, 2012 9:07 am

"Sure, bye."

Sasien turns and walks off the boat, up the dock, and out of sight.
Sasien Tan'Dell
Sasien Tan'Dell

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 am

"Always was odd, that Elf."

Hans returns to his conversation with Johann
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:11 am

"Well, I think I've cleared my head, I'm going to the Library for some research on some old maps of mine. After that I'll probably head back to the Guildhouse."
Seamus goes back into his cabin, and emerges a few moments later hastily pocketing a scroll and a small notebook. He walks off the gangplank and back into the city streets.
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:50 am

[Many days later...]
As the sun rises over the docks, the orange light of dawn filling the streets and making the water shimmer, the captain of the Earthbound's Rescue steps out from his cabin, a morning breeze causing his trademark coat to billow lightly. He walks down the gangplank and up to a nearby noticeboard, removing a scroll from his inside pocket. He unfurls it, takes a hammer and a couple of nails from another pocket and fixes it to the board. It reads:
Crew Members Wanted!
For service upon the first airship ever to sail the skies of Xenos
Under the command of Captain Seamus Cloudbreaker O'Malley, the Shadow on the Water

Previous sea-faring ability is welcome, but not necessary
Basic combat skills may come in useful for certain missions
Anyone with affinity to the arcane or spiritual arts will be greatly valued

Wages will vary depending on the availibilty/success of missions
Applicants will be able to reach the Captain in his cabin in the hour after sunrise or before sunset every day
He steps back, admiring his handiwork, smirks lightly and returns to his cabin aboard the ship.

Last edited by Captain Seamus O'Malley on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Hans, after watching the Captain post the notice, moves to the port side of the ship.

"Recruitment drive. I suppose we did lose too many on that last raid..."
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down