Xenos! Xenos Everywhere!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dun Pennot Library

+5
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Sparkles
Beric of Goldenbridge
Hans Yksin
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
9 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Dun Pennot Library Empty The Dun Pennot Library

Post  Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe Wed May 23, 2012 9:35 am

The library was an old building, the flaking white paint on the exterior belying its valuable contents. The large oak doors swing open smoothly, revealing the dark, quiet interior, only the rustling of pages breaking the silence. The wooden shelves sagged under the weight of the tomes lined up upon them, their varnish worn by the hands of untold throngs. The spines of the books were cracked and worn, evidence of the rough hands of thousands. Pools of wax collected beneath crimson candles, the flickering flames softly lighting the clusters of desks age chairs sat in small clusters upon the faded, rose tinged carpet. A few people sit, studying texts, a few making notes, the scratching of quills on paper audible in the deafening quiet. In the corner sits an aged man, hunched over a desk with a small set of spectacles perched on the tip of his nose, marking of books on a list of loans and returns.
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe

Back to top Go down

The Dun Pennot Library Empty Re: The Dun Pennot Library

Post  Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe Wed May 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Osthorpe walks in swiftly bit calmly. Knowing exactly where to look he retrieves a large leather bound time and a wooden box. With a nod of recognition to the Librarian, he sita down in front of a desk, spreading out his materials upon it. After taking a moment to adjust the lenses over his eyes, he begins silently leafing through the contents of the box.

[Note - IC this is happening at a different time to the other threads, so you can be 'in two places at once']
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Fri May 25, 2012 7:01 am

Hans enters the Library quietly, nodding toward the Librarian and making his way toward the section where he knew information on Spirits and Enchantments was kept. Pulling out a pile of books, he sits down, away from the other patron, and begins reading, the wrinkling of his forehead betraying his obvious concentration on the subject matter
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Sun May 27, 2012 4:03 am

Quite a while after Hans enters, Seamus walks in, a notebook and a scroll of yellowed parchment in his hand. It is obvious that the dust, darkness and closely-packed bookshelves make him uneasy, but after a short time wandering through the library, he finds the map archive and begins to look through some of the files, occasionally taking a map or two, before sitting at one of the desks and scribbling into his notebook, barely looking at his own scroll.
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe Sun May 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Captain Seamus O'Malley wrote:It is obvious that the dust, darkness and closely-packed bookshelves make him uneasy, but after a short time wandering through the library, he finds the map archive and begins to look through some of the files, occasionally taking a map or two, before sitting at one of the desks and scribbling into his notebook, barely looking at his own scroll.
Seeing the Captain, Osthorpe briskly walks over and takes a seat across from him.
"You are Captain Seamus, I presume. I'm Cecil, I work for the Epitaph. I have heard you saw what happened to the Jarl who was killed there. Would it be ok if I ask you a few questions a few questions?"
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Sun May 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Seamus looks up from his notes, obviously annoyed at this interruption. Looking over at this figure who had blocked out his reading light, he notices the symbol of The Epitaph.
"Oh gods, not a newspaper reporter... What did you say you wanted? Oh, that's right, the Jarl... I don't really want to share some of the details surrounding that, but I'll make a deal with you - you look like someone who spends a lot of time here, and has access to any resource he wants on account of the newspaper and all that, so if you can get me access to the section where they keep the more valuable items in this library, I'll answer any questions you want... Does that sound reasonable to you?"
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe Mon May 28, 2012 4:49 am

Captain Seamus O'Malley wrote:"What did you say you wanted? Oh, that's right, the Jarl... I don't really want to share some of the details surrounding that, but I'll make a deal with you - you look like someone who spends a lot of time here, and has access to any resource he wants on account of the newspaper and all that, so if you can get me access to the section where they keep the more valuable items in this library, I'll answer any questions you want... Does that sound reasonable to you?"
"I can always see what I can do, but I would need to know the manner of item you seek. Firstly, though, I see you are studying maps. Is it a problem I could help you with? I was taught cartography as a child."
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 am

"No thank you, I'd rather not share this personal map of mine with anyone I don't trust, especially not a reporter such as yourself, no offence intended. The fact of the matter is, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for exactly, but I'm sure the answer lies in some ancient text, possibly from the early years of the Age of Rebuilding, or maybe even earlier. A text that rare could only be found in the off limits section of the Library, so unless I can get in there myself, there's really nothing I can do."
Seamus looks at the reporter, thinking that perhaps he doesn't have access to the more delicate items in the Library. There's just something about him that seems to say clumsy...
Maybe it would be better to try and persuade Divah to help, he's a Sargeant of the Library...
Seamus begins to pack up his notes, obviously about to leave. Before he rises from his seat, however, he turns to the reporter once more.
"If you can help me, find me on my ship The Earthbound's Rescue later or leave a message with one of my crew. But I'm afraid I must leave now, Cecil, was it? That is, unless you can convince me otherwise..."
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 am

Captain Seamus O'Malley wrote:"No thank you, I'd rather not share this personal map of mine with anyone I don't trust"
"That's fine, I understand perfectly. I'll have a word with the Librarian, see what I can do. Until then - farewell."
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe
Cecil M. P. P. Osthorpe

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Seamus puts back his reference material, makes sure he has his scroll and notebook before leaving the library.
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparkles Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:57 am

OOC: All information used will be IC attributed to the appropriate gentleman and scholar assisting.

After a day or two in his semi-private retreat, Divah had returned to the cities of Tion, his Goddess had spoken to him in one of his trances; He was to gather a comprehensive series of data on plantlife, druidry and other natural pursuits of the kind, of course, he wasn't a master in his field of study, and while he could brew a potion, he would certainly find it difficult to work on the herblore sections of his work.

Sectioning off a small section of books, a paper sign was hung from a post

"Research Comrades Wanted:
A Comprehensive Guide to Plants and Their Uses"
Sparkles
Sparkles
Admin

https://xenosrp.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:07 am

[I don't think I'm here yet but I can't be arsed to make an IC entrance...]

Johann is suddenly there, popping out from behind a rarely used section of the library, that which is concerned with weapon technique and martial etiquette.

He walks up to the notice, a few large dusty tomes under his arm ( one may see that the outermost one reads on its cover "The Forms of Hybridised Swordplay, and Their Applications in the Field, Vol.3", By Erik J. Varvinden II.) and reads it.

"Well, I think I do need a little job to take my mind off things..."
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparkles Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:14 am

"It's odd to see you without a certain someone on your arm nowadays, eh? How are you?"

Divah made an opening from the sectioning rope and invited the almost overly-masculine human in, A large wooden table dominated the makeshift room fashioned from a wall, two bookcases and a rope. Two candles and a small stack of books laid beside a series of ink wells and quills, rather unorganised on the scratched surface. a large stack of greened paper sat beside a chair, bound by thin rope.

It was still high dawn outside, so the light shone in through the window with no problem, illuminating the table almost exclusively.
Sparkles
Sparkles
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 am

Johann walks in, placing his pile of large books down in a corner of the room, then turning to face Divah.

"Ah, Sargent Lunus, I had thought matters of this nature [LOL PUN] would be your business. Putting together a book of some kind?"
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparkles Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 am

Hauldr Johann Draugr wrote:Johann walks in, placing his pile of large books down in a corner of the room, then turning to face Divah.

"Ah, Sargent Lunus, I had thought matters of this nature [LOL PUN] would be your business. Putting together a book of some kind?"

"Indeed, Hauldr; It's time to contribute something to the Library I've made such use of to date. You know how to forage, as an explorer, yes? I could use some of your experience with identifying the materials I use in their base form, plants and the like"
Sparkles
Sparkles
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 am

Johann looks down at nothing in particular, and sighs happily as if remembering something.

"Well, It's been a while, since I stretched myself in this field, but I'd be happy to help."
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparkles Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 am

"Well if you could use these books as reference, please note down whatever information you have, or even theories you might have regarding the plants, where they grow, what parts are useful and the like"

Untying the bundle of paper, Divah placed a few sheets before his Guildmate before he opened a book himself, a sheet of dust falling off the old cover as Divah began to quietly read at his chair.

"I won't keep you... if you want to put down your knowledge from the comfort of your own home, I'm sure the Librarian won't mind you taking these books, I know these have at least one other copy"
Sparkles
Sparkles
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Hans shoves away a book, rubbing his brow and cursing about the intricacies of Soul-manipulation, and grunting about how little info there is regarding charging soul-bound items.

"I know of a few plants that are used in poisons. Can't make them myself, nor do I know which poisons they pertain to, but I know their used."

He walks over to the herbology section and pulls out a couple books, 'Herbs and their Crippling Juices' and 'Plants & Poisons: How that which gives us life can take it brutally.' amoung them.
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beric of Goldenbridge Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:48 am

"So I reall can't get access? For any price? The dark take this whole bloody libray! If we were in Gevell you'd let me in for a bundle of warrants! Bloody Tionese librarians, not knowing a good deal when they see it..."
The captain paces hastily down the aisles of the library, making his way to the map archive, as he usually does. He passes the section on plant life, but something catches his eye and he walks back to it.
"Johan? Hans? what are you doing in the plant section of the library? I'd expect you to be studying arts of warfare, but plants?"
Beric of Goldenbridge
Beric of Goldenbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 am

Hans throws a book away in disdain

"Heat the blade to red hot after poison is applied? What fodder-head wrote that book of ridiculous stupidity. That'd just boil the poison off! Oh, Captain. We're helping Divah with his research on plant matter. Hasn't yet told me specifically what he wants me to do though..."

He pulls out a chair and moves a pile of books over in front of its place.

"Care to help? We could certainly use it..."
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:04 am

[OOC - Not sure how Hans can know a lot about poisons and plants etc, without being able to make them, and thus having the skills for it...]
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparkles Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 am

Hans Yksin wrote:"Hasn't yet told me specifically what he wants me to do though..."

"Just write what you know... Anything is helpful, but I'd like to focus more on the plantlife than the application"

Divah shuffled papers occasionally, remaining rather quiet in the presence of someone who had clearly not read the sign, and chosen to ignore his existence to boot.
Sparkles
Sparkles
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Yksin Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:10 am

[OOC - Hans doesn't george, but he is educated, so he'd know that heating = evaporation = bye-bye liquids, and as a Rogue he has a very rudimentary knowledge of a few poisions. I'm not going beyond that though, he'll learn more as we research from the books.]

"Plants, not application, got it. There was something in here about Thistles..."

He returns to the books, scribbling down anything he deems useful.
Hans Yksin
Hans Yksin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Lydja Draugr Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:10 am

Lydia seems to appear from hidden deep within one of the many shelves in the library, her head buried firmly in a book. She looks out to the group, and she smiles knowingly to them all. She places herself down next to Johann, and looks at what book he is reading. Seeing a title on one of the pages she looks up to him, "You know of my Grandfather's work?"
Lady Lydja Draugr
Lady Lydja Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Hauldr Johann Draugr Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:15 am

Having been quietly making notes and flipping through the papers, Johann looks up.

"Ah, there you are!..And yes I do know of his writings. I used to have copies of the first volumes, although I could never quite find one of the third. But, as I expected, the Seekers Guild Library has the answers."

He hand the large tome to Lydia, and returns to the diagrams and notes of flora.
Hauldr Johann Draugr
Hauldr Johann Draugr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum